Even Real Time is almost too late. Technology and social media has enabled us to expand our reach and it has it’s advantages. However, when it is not used properly and with permission, it could turn what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of your lives, into a nightmare.
Being proactive and making a decision about if you will allow guest to use cell phones and social media during your wedding ceremony has now become a norm to manage when planning a wedding. It seems like no big deal, until the Maid of Honor posts a picture of the Bride in her wedding dress before the wedding…while the Groom is a few rooms away passing time on social media and sees the picture that she posted. That’s a No-No!
Unplugged: Disadvantages of Using Technology & Social Media at Your Wedding
- Be Present!: Your guest are so distracted trying to record the moment that they miss actually “being presence” for it. Don’t feel guilty. Be excited about them not being distracted, but able to clap, laugh, cry, and simply share in the moment, instead of clicking and posting. You can also include a note in the ceremony program that reads something like this:
Thank you for taking the time to be witnesses of our vows and the beginning of our marriage. We invite you to be truly present at our ceremony, and respectfully request that all cameras and phones be turned off. Please feel free to share photos at our reception only. Please use hashtag #Mr&MrsPowerCouple
- Excuse Me: Everyone wants the best angel. If they have it, then that means that your grandmother missed it, because they were blocking her view.
- Money Shot: You pay a professional to get the money shots! Empower them to ask your guest to be seated if they get in the way. You would hate to have the back for cousin Pete’s head in the middle of “you may now kiss your bride!”
Plug In & Turn Up: Advantages and Ways to Maximize the Use of Technology & Social Media
- #HashTag! Go all out! From the save-the-date announcement through the honeymoon, create a hash tag and ask your guest to use it every time the post something. This will allow you to search and remember the day while relaxing on the beach or by the pool on your honeymoon.
- Talk About It! Communicate the rules desires to your guest prior to the wedding. Talk about it on your wedding website, Put it in the program, have the Hostess announce it as people come arrive, and even have the Officiant make a brief announcement.
- They Were There?: The day will go by so fast! We used to use disposable camera for this reason, but now everyone has a high definition camera in their pockets. Allowing your guest to talk pictures and post them, provides a perspective that you would not have experienced otherwise.
Whichever works for you, with a little planning and communication, you can incorporate technology into your #EpicDay or request that your guest to remove all distractions to be present for one of the most intimate moments of your life.
EventsByEpic.com | Info@EventsByEpic.com | 630.492.0077
Nice. Love the correlation to football. Great read!